Friday, July 24, 2009

The jury's out.....

That lovely vintage rayon fabric that I posted about earlier has been transformed into a lovely floaty top courtesy McCalls 5808 – here’s a pic.

Oooh – lovely 70’s styling, nice yoke shape and floaty sleeves. Good choice!

And here’s the top on the dummy.

Nice job Sandra! Looks just like the pattern envelope. And I do like that natty black bias trim around the yokeline.

Now let’s see what it looks like on.

Oh dear


Well I am not exactly sure what it is about my body that can transform a perfectly acceptable top into a travesty of a puffy pirate shirt, am I too old for this style (note the jowls), are my shoulders too broad or is the print just too pretty? Whatever the reason I should never have forgotten that vow I made in 1987 to NEVER wear puffy sleeves again!

But I think I can salvage the pattern – maybe lengthen into a dress and take out the gathering in the sleeve head and try for a breezy summer dress. Maybe.
If you are interested in more of the nuts and bolts of the pattern mosey on over to Pattern Review and read my full review there.
Otherwise feel free to let fly with your opinion. I can take it.

4 comments:

sweet emmelie said...

No, I think it looks lovely on you. I love the print and the black piping, the top is gorgeous but also would look lovely as a dress if you go down that road.

sandra said...

Thanks for the compliment (and for posting my first comment, how exciting!). I think that the problem is more in my head than with the actual top. It has been such a long time since I have worn something with so much volume (its been jeans and trackies for the last 2 years)so I might try wearing it out a few times and see how I go. If that doesn't work I might try posting it as a giveaway!

Melinda said...

Hi - I've just popped over from Burdastyle because I had to see more of your top. I can tell by the very sad look on your face in the pic that you don't feel good in this top, but I think if it was with black tights and boots instead of jeans it would look modern and funky. and no, you are not too old for it! I did get a good laugh from the commentary with the photo's!

sandra said...

Hi Melinda
Thanks for visiting - I had every intention of cropping my face out of the photo, hence bad hair and no makeup, but then decided that I didn't want to be a headless torso!
Great suggestion re the tights, I hadn't thought of that - will give it a try. I STILL have a stash of good black opaques leftover form the 90's that should do the trick.