Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Why does the world need another sewing blog?

Hmmm...good question. I’m not sure that the world needs this sewing blog but I figure that on the days that I don’t get to actually do any sewing then I might as well be able to write about it.

You see I have a bit of a love/hate relationship to sewing. I think about it all the time, it keeps me awake at night and I get cranky when visitors pop round and I can’t sew. But when I actually get to sit down at the machine then I am continually frustrated that I’m not sewing fast enough or I am thinking about the floors that need washing and nappies that need changing. So all in all sewing is NOT some wonderful mystical experience that elevates the soul – well not mine anyhow.

So what you won’t get at this blog is me waxing lyrical about the joys of creating or the sublime feeling of whiling away a day handsewing (who the heck handsews these days anyhow, there are clothes to be made dang it!) and looking at the sunset while cherubic infants play merrily in the background.

What you might get is a few tips on how to navigate the quagmire of commercial sewing pattern instructions, as well as some ways to fast track putting a garment together and how to handle tricky fitting problems. But be warned, there will be no handbasting, tacking, prewashing fabric or 2cm seam allowances so if these are things that rock your boat then you might want to leave now but if not.......on with the sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment