Monday, August 24, 2009

The new trousers

It’s taken me a while but I have finally cottoned on to the idea that there is a new shape in pants happening. I have been so used to wearing bootleg cut hipster type of pants that it didn’t occur to me to think about trying a different kind of trouser for summer.

Until I was browsing around on the web and came across this pic of Diane Kruger in harem style trousers.



Pic from whowhatwear.com

What I love about this is a. they look comfy, b. they look very cool (can’t ever go wrong with a black skivvy either) and they are NEW! Hooray!

Well not really new. I remember learning how to draft this kind of pattern at college (we called them poo catchers back then) and thinking that they were so daggy!
But now, despite being a bit late on the uptake, I have managed to find a similar commercial pattern and have had a go at making some for myself.

The pattern


The result.


The fabric is a cotton/nylon stripe that has a slight seersucker type of texture.
I have about another 10 metres of this so I am sure it will crop up again for this season.

I made View A which has a high waist which I am not too fussed about, but the shape and fit is great. I originally made a toile in size 14 but after fitting realised I needed to make the 12 instead. It's a great pattern, very easy and quick to make and doesn't really need any tweaking which is a nice change.

Closeup with belt.


I was a bit dubious about the fact that there are inverted box pleats on the BACK of the pant but beacuse the fabric is so light and floaty this is actually fine.

They may just end up being a one season wonder but they are so quick to make who cares! Now I just need a whole new wardrobe to go with them!

4 comments:

Gail said...

Hey, they look great! I've been quite dubious about this style of trouser too, they always seem to look great on models and celebs but real people- not so much. I think it really depends on a) fabric choice. Thin jerseys just don't work, and b) proportions of top and shoes. Which is a pain to feel like you've gotta buy a whole new wardrobe!
But these definitely work. Might haveta go get the pattern!
xo

sandra said...

Yes I think you are right - fabric choice is the key! I did a toile in calico and hoo boy talk about elephant pants!

Lorelle said...

I like these pants on you, but I'm affraid on my short stumpy legs it would be a no no. I actually came to your blog to look at what you did with v8534. Its one of my next projects. I like your version, its nice with the band. I'm considering making a facing for the neckline before sewing up the pleats as I dont like the raw neckline idea. Nice to meet you. Lorelle

sandra said...

Hi Lorelle
Thanks for your comment.
I think that a facing would work well for the Vogue top, my fabric was a bit see through which is why I did the binding over a facing.
But if I sew it again in a heavier weight stretch then I think that I would definately try a facing.I would probably sew the pleats first and then attach the facing - is this how you would do it as well?