Thursday, October 1, 2009

Plugging Away

Trying to sew has been a bit like swimming through quicksand recently.

I have finally managed to finish and submit a 3000 word Uni assignment (albeit a week late) which means I can now spend some of my evening tracing patterns and cutting fabric instead of trying to figure out how to reference my essay to the proper academic standard.

But I did manage to get a top completed but have only just gotten around to photograph it.

It’s Simplicity 2593, the Cynthia Rowley twist top which I know oodles of other sewers have tried and had great success with.

The fabric is more of the stripe seersucker that I used for the harem pant (but they definitely won’t get worn together unless I go to a pajama party!) and it worked really nicely for this design.

I didn’t bother with a toile, and cut a size 12 (even though I should be a 14 going by the envelope measurements) as quite a few reviewers at Pattern Review mentioned that there was plenty of ease.



The top was a pretty good fit except for the extra 6 cm along the front neckline – seen here pinned in to fit.

This could have been due to the pattern or the bias strip may have stretched quite a bit during handling. It was easy to fix though, I just unpicked (shudder) the front neck, gathered the extra in and put a seam in the bias strip at CF and then reattached the bias. Having the seam there doesn’t bother me as the twisty bit covered it up. I also gave the twist band an extra twist to allow for the shorter neckline.

The directions are straightforward, my only bugbear with this pattern is the handsewing required to attach the twist band – I racked my brain trying to think of a way to attach it by machine but gave up – I figured that if I spend my money on a commercial pattern I shouldn’t also have to spend my time redrafting the pattern.

In the end I settled for ditchstitching the shoulder seams and a few key places around the neck as well as handsewing, as I don’t trust that my handsewing will stand up to the rigours of my washing machine!

I just flipped up the twist, machine stitched and then folded the twist back down to cover the stitching.




Sorry about the pics – The Bloke took off with the camera at the crucial moment and these are from my mobile.


The finished result (without the hem - woops!)


Front detail


Back detail (no kidding!)

Overall this is a lovely pattern, very easy to put together, although the bias is a bit fiddly.

If I make it again though I am debating whether to adjust the pattern for the extra 6cm or use a stretch fusing for the bias to prevent any stretching. I have never done this before so not quite sure if it would work.

Oh, and I only JUST got away with the size 12!
Will probably have to resist an extra serve of pav at Christmas time!

Edited to add: artwork in background courtesy Miss C

2 comments:

  1. I have been eyeing up this pattern, it looks great on you. BTW I have tagged you with an award on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you've managed to squeeze in some sewing time - I know how difficult that is when you've got essays to write - last year I was in the same position. This top is just beautiful and it's got that expensive, designer look. I love the fabric you have chosen - the combination of the lines and the twisted neckline are really eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete