Thursday, November 26, 2009

In a muddle

I just can’t seem to get any sense of order in my life right now – granted the weather has been against me somewhat.

We have had over a week of temperatures hovering around the 40 degrees (Celsius) mark, and on Sunday were hit with the worst bushfires that our area has seen for some time.

Fortunately no lives, property or stock were lost, but when the fire got to within 2 km of town we decided to hightail it out of there. The Bloke stayed behind to defend the property and Miss C and I stocked the car with first aid supplies, thick woollen blankets, 20 litres of water and a fire extinguisher!

Funnily enough, when we made the decision to go, there wasn’t anything that I was desperate to save; people talk of saving photo albums, family heirlooms and the like but when it came to the crunch I was just happy to have a tank full of gas and get to somewhere safe.

I must admit I did feel a bit of a twinge thinking about the pattern and fabric stash, but in the end if it went then so be it.

So after a brief sojourn at Hotel Granma’s we are now back home with lots of cleaning up to do.

I think that this will put a spanner in my plans to enter the Wardrobe Contest; I have completed 5 tops and 1 skirt with one in the works, but that leaves 2 bottoms and the vest to complete in about 6 days.

On paper there is no reason why it can’t be done, I am a pretty fast sewer, but while it will be nice to have these clothes I don’t really NEED them, not like the lounge room NEEDS new curtains and Miss C NEEDS to be toilet trained, so a decision NEEDS to be made I suppose.

Plus on top of this I NEED to turn this

into some kind of suitable room for Miss C, who is still in a cot in our room and has really outgrown this arrangement.

I have managed to complete a quilt for the room but still don’t have the room to put it in! Sigh!


At least I have finished my exams for the year, but as we are heading off for Christmas with the inlaws on the 10th Dec, I am seriously running out of time to get things done. And I have to make/wrap/send Christmas pressies as well. And I don’t think that this post makes any sense at all. Aaaaaargh!

I think a nice glass of Scotch is in order. Maybe a double!

3 comments:

  1. Good to see that Bloke and Stuff are all safe!

    The quilt looks GREAT! The gingham binding really sets it off- did you decide to not add the doilies? I don't think it needs them anyway. Miss C seems very enamoured with it!

    And I say not to worry about the comp- unless of course it has a hefty cash prize (or equivalent). If so- send some sewing my way, I'll help. (Oops- shh!) Just kidding!

    :) L'il Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are okay and things survived. Wanted to say I'm really enjoying your blog and feeling inspired to sew more & faster! And cute quilt for the little one- love your colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gail - I baulked at the idea of handsewing so the doilies are off for the time being, and thanks for volunteering for the job of machinist!!! Have you got time to do some jean hems as well he he!
    Hi Alicia - thanks for stopping by, I must admit to being fast at the expense of accuracy sometimes, which is why I often only bother photographing the end result! But I hope as I get into a routine with sewing and blogging that I can also post more of the actual process of sewing as well as the finished product.

    ReplyDelete