Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Self imposed exile.....

I have just returned home after 2 weeks in the wilderness, well not exactly, technology wilderness maybe as there was no internet access, but my parents farm is more Aussie bush than wilderness and seeing that it is only a 10 minute drive to town its hardly remote.

But I did have 3 babysitters (Granma, Granpa and my sis) so I managed to get plenty of uninterrupted sewing time and quite a few projects completed.

So first cab off the rank is Simplicity 2596, a ridiculously easy top that is so simple to put together I almost didn’t bother posting a review as I didn’t think that there was anything that I could add to the pattern instructions.



But seeing as sis kindly volunteered to take some photos here it is.



The fabric is a cotton printed eyelet that has a slight diagonal direction, so I cut the pattern following the nap.

I cut View E with View A length, in a size 12 and made absolutely no changes to the pattern.

The only change I made to the construction was finishing the neckline; instead of a facing I used a ready made (I know I know how lazy can you get!) bias binding as the fabric is very lightweight and I didn’t want to see the facing through the eyelet holes.

I also added a skinny frill in self fabric to the front yoke seam (simply cut a bias strip, roll hem the edges on the overlock, gather and sew on top of seam) as it was looking a bit hospital scrubs like!



Easy peasy, a great summer top that I think I will get loads of wear out of.
It’s not exactly going to set the fashion world on fire but the lady at the library thinks it’s lovely!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I really like this . The frill really makes it special .

Melinda said...

Love the frill idea. What a great pattern.

Lorelle said...

Your top looks great. The frill was a good idea. It looks like a nice top to wear when summer sets in.

Eugenia said...

This top is so pretty. I love that fabric and the style is great - it really suits you. Love the way you made it a little different with the frill - nice designer touch!