Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Burda Ruffle top

Posting the last two tops from the wardrobe now before I whizz off to New Zealand for Christmas. I still have way too much cleaning and packing to do so unfortunately there won’t be much in the way of Christmas posts from me this year.

Here is the Burda ruffle top (issue 08/2009)from the Wardrobe Contest.


Burda model

This is a great top, I plan on making many more versions of this. It is quick to trace, cut and sew and is quite girly without being sickly sweet.

I bet you're getting sick of that looking at that wall by now!

I did make a few changes to the pattern and the sewing as I didn’t bother to look too closely at the Burda instructions.

Pattern
Traced a size 38, but really could have gotten away with a 36 as I ended up taking 2cm off at each side seams from the hem and tapering to nothing under the arm.

Shortened length by 5cm.

Added 2 side back darts between side seams and CB, taking in another 4cm in total from the waist.

Curved the facing edge instead of tracing Burda’s corner. You can see the original edge on this pattern piece, it is the dotted black line. A curved edge is much easier to finish than a corner, especially if you are overlocking it.



Sewing
I attached my button to the front of the top, Burda has you attach it to the inside.
I did a self fabric loop rather than a hand sewn chainstitch loop.



I think that this will be a great transeasonal top, good for under cardis and jackets and even over a turtleneck.

I am even thinking it could be good to extend it into a dress and run some elastic around the waist. So a big yay for Burda patterns from me on this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment