Friday, December 4, 2009

Frankenskirt (or how to turn a pant into a skirt)

Our household has come down with the dreaded lurgy so things have been moving in slow motion for the last few days, but I promised more info on the individual pieces from the wardrobe so here is the first.

In my original plan I had trousers and shorts for all of the bottoms but when we started to get temps of 40 degrees in November (!) it occurred to me that skirts might be a better option.

But as I haven’t worn as skirt in say, at least 15 years, and even then it would have been with thick black tights, I wasn’t quite sure what shape to go for.
I played a lot of sport as a kid and as a result have quite muscular legs, so anything above the knee is out, and full, girly styles don’t work on me. I realised that it is quite difficult finding a skirt that isn’t corporate or a bit nanna or a bit bohemian in style.

Because I like the McCalls harem pant so much, I thought I might be able to bastardise the pattern and make it into a skirt, and whaddayknow it worked!



All I did was find the CF and CB on the pattern at the waistline (which was quite conveniently marked, thank you very much McCalls) and rule a line straight down, parallel to the grainline. Then measured the length I wanted and squared across from CF and CB to the side seam.

I also needed to reshape the side seam as it was tapered in on the pant. Then cut the front on the fold, added seam allowance to CB for the zip and voila a new skirt pattern! All the pieces for the pockets and facings remained unchanged.
I also shortened the waist by 1.5cm as it was a little too high waisted in the pant for my taste.

Here’s the finished result. It’s made up in a dark denim chambray.


Frankenskirt on me

I am sorry that I don’t have any pics of the pattern pieces, as in the whirlwind of getting everything done I just made the adjustments in pencil on the original pattern and hoped for the best!

If you would like more specific instructions on how to turn a pant into a skirt just send me an email.

I am still debating whether to do any topstitching though.


Frankenskirt on the other dummy

I usually avoid topstitching, as if it isn’t perfect it can look very home made, but then again without topstitching it also looks a bit unfinished (denim always seems to need topstitching for some reason). Any thoughts?

Overall I am pretty happy with this one, although it doesn’t quite fit what I was aiming for in a casual denim skirt, as I think the high waist makes it look quite dressy. But I think with a T-shirt and flats I can get around that.

2 comments:

Josie said...

I love your skirt. I noticed it on your last post and wondered which pattern you used. It looks so comfy and yet stylish too!

kbenco said...

That pants pattern makes a gorgeous skirt. I love it.