Friday, January 15, 2010

Too hot to sew

It has been so hot here since New Year, and not just your regular summer heat, but I mean wall melting heat, so there has been no sewing action whatsoever, hence my online absence.

I haven’t even been able to think about sewing it’s been so dreadful.

Our house is an old sandstone number, so even though its been insulated to the hilt we don’t have air con, which means closing everything up and keeping it dark inside from pretty much 9am every day. That, and staying as still as possible is the only way I can maintain any kind of good cheer toward my fellow inhabitants.

So instead of sewing, Miss C and I have been learning to swim, which has been great fun but I am still sorely in need of some lightweight summer clothes.

It has got me to thinking that our clothes are miserably unsuitable to our living conditions (how the heck the early settlers managed to survive in heavy woollen garments and corsets I don’t know).

We should be wearing big, billowy kaftans in cotton and linen with nothing underneath (and I mean nothing) to trap cool air and allow body heat to escape. Instead I see people walking around in tight T shirts and jeans, or little strappy singlets and shorts. A lot of people don’t even wear sunglasses or hats in the middle of the day which amazes me. The aim should be to cover as much skin as possible in natural fibres and loose shapes.

But I get odd looks when I wear a shirt over my swimmers at the pool, so I can’t imagine what people would think if I started swanning about in a long sleeve linen caftan ( it does have a bit of a Liz Taylor in the 70’s vibe though which makes the idea seem quite appealing)!



Hmmmm...might try this look next time I need to pop down to the post office for some stamps!
Image:Flickr

But I digress. What has caught my eye is this post from the Tessuti blog. A great denim skirt which I just happen to have all the bits and bobs for!
I just have to find a suitable pattern.


Chambray, buttons and thread from the stash.....all up about $5 worth!!!Thank you opshop Gods!

Since discovering that skirts do actually suit me, especially the tulip shape, I am thinking that this Burda trouser pattern from the Nov 2009 issue, converted to a skirt could do the trick.


If we get a cool change tonight I might just get the tracing paper out!

4 comments:

Karin said...

I've never been to Australia, but I assumed that EVERYONE had air-conditioning. I grew up in Florida. I remember when I was really little like 4 or 5, we didn't have central air-conditioning, just a few window units. It was so hot, but also so humid. Unbearable.

I am looking forward to seeing your skirt.

Eugenia said...

It's fun to read about you being so warm - because here we are shovelling snow and slipping on ice! I absolutely love that Liz Taylor look - I want to look that glamorous and sultry!

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

Yikes! You are talking hot flash hot and that ain't fun! At least with hot flashes it only lasts a few minutes.

sandra said...

Hi Karin, thanks for stopping by. We have a dry heat here so we are spared the humidity thank goodness!
Eugenia, I have never lived with snow so I can't imagine what that would be like, perhaps a fur lined kaftan might be just the thing!