Thursday, June 24, 2010

Sorted!

The fabrics are sorted, the patterns are sorted, even the nightmare notions box from hell has been sorted and now my sewing space is free of beer kegs and stuffed animals, so I should be able to get some sewing projects started hooray!

What I neglected to mention in my last post though was that I actually have three creative spaces; my sewing table, the kitchen table where I do all my patternmaking and cutting, and I also have a separate studio for messy work like painting and glueing. While I am very fortunate to have a dedicated space for doing creative stuff, it’s kinda high maintenance. It’s an old building, so it gets dusty and cobwebby quickly and I have the rest of my stash stored there in plastic tubs which I desperately need to sort, but I will have to wait for a fairy godmother or an underpaid babysitter to help out with that project.

For now though I am content to have at least one area that is freed up of stuff and thanks to the lovely Clare at Lucky Mia I have some homework to do as well! Here are my answers to the following questions:

Which pattern/vintage style have you been thinking about lately?
I have this vintage Simplicity pattern that I think would be great for Miss C. It’s a couple of sizes too big but nothing a bit of pattern tweaking won’t fix. I really like 70’s patterns for kids, they tend to be quite unfussy and a bit tomboyish, which is what I prefer for girls.



I don’t tend to sew vintage for myself. My proportions just don’t quite work for vintage: broad shoulders and low boobs, so I generally stick with current patterns. This doesn't stop me buying vintage patterns though.

What is one place that you really want to visit that you haven’t been to before?
New York New York! Don’t think I need to explain that one!

What are your favourite / least favourite words? These can be connected to sewing or not!
Favourite word: gormless (as in gormless twit, I tend to use that one a lot! And often aimed at myself!)
Least favourite word: panties (ugh!!!)

If you had to spend 3 consecutive days on the same train, who would you want with you and why?
A French chef. I love French food, pastries, soups, sauces, mains etc. Then I could happily eat my way to wherever I was going!

What’s your sewing threshold? As in, what will you let go, what must you absolutely fix?
I don’t tend to let much go. I really hate having UFO’s hanging around so I tend to see something through even if it doesn’t work for me. Then I either give it to someone who it does suit, give it to charity or chuck it in the rag bag. If it’s expensive fabric I will usually make sure I get the fit right by doing a couple of toiles first but if it’s just a quick cheap project and it’s a flop then it goes straight to scrap. Sometimes I will salvage notions like zips or buttons before it gets the toss though!

What’s your “desert island” book/movie and why could you read/watch it over and over?
Movie: Withnail and I. I can still watch this over and over and never get bored with it. Brilliant writing and brilliant acting. Actually maybe I should kick the French chef off the train and get Richard E. Grant to pop along instead?!


What garment/accessory do you wear the most?
It’s boring but its jeans. Denim is the perfect fabric that goes with everything.

What wouldn’t you be caught dead in?
Flesh coloured pantyhose (yeurk I just unwittingly used the word panty. Change that to flesh coloured tights.)

Now to keep the love going I nominate the following blogsters to confess their sins:
Alisa at Mon Alisa Design
Tina at Among Angels
Alicia at From the Pink House
Princess Martha

Just answer the above questions and if any of those don’t take your fancy then here are some more:
1.What would be in your perfect picnic basket?
2.What is your favorite holiday?
3.How do you relax?
4. Have you ever had a sewing-related injury? Give gory details! If not, any irrational fears?!

3 comments:

  1. nice to meet another of Clare's choices! She must like Australians or something?? I love vintage patterns too but have only posted about one so far (Maternity Mystery).. must get a bit more scanner action happening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fourth Daughter, thanks for stopping by - there does seem to be a lot of fashionable Australians in Blogland these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Australians! And 'gormless' is a brilliant word - thanks for reminding me it exists!

    ReplyDelete