Friday, July 9, 2010

OOP Simplicity 8040

Here is the nitty gritty on Miss C’s groovy new corduroy skirt from yesterdays post.

The pattern
An OOP Simplicity pattern dated 1977 which means it qualifies as vintage (and so do I for that matter!).



This is my first effort at actually sewing using a vintage pattern. Yes I have a stash of them, mostly in the wrong size which means I’ll never use them, but I can’t resist the potential contained in those pretty little envelopes.
I haven’t ventured into vintage for myself because a. I’m lazy and can’t be bothered messing around with toiles and getting the fit right and b. I actually prefer modern styles on me. Vintage tends to make me look a bit too much like Minnie Mouse for my liking.

The pattern is size 5 ( I love love love single size patterns. I wish they would bring them back and ditch the painful multisize ones) so I had to grade it down (who am I kidding, I just chopped 3cm off the side seams and resized the pockets) to fit.

It has a front waistband and elasticized waist so I am hoping to get at least 2 seasons out of it.

The fabric
Cream cotton corduroy from the op shop for $1
White ric rac trim for the pockets that came from my grandmother’s stash

I was a bit iffy about combining the white trim on a cream skirt but decided that getting too pernickity about the trim on a girls skirt that will only get covered in chocolate cake and worn for 2 seasons really isn't worth any design angst.



The verdict
I love this skirt. The pattern was really well drafted, great shape and the pockets really add a great detail to an otherwise plain skirt. I like the fact that it is girly but not prissy or frilly and doesn’t scream “I wanna be a rock star and flash my bits to everyone even though I am only 3” like most chain store clothes do these days.

I can see myself making a gazillion of these over the next year or so. And I might even have a go at the shorts. Flared shorty culottes, now that was a trend that I remember all too well!

1 comment:

  1. These are so cute and I agree with you on the clothes in chain stores these days for little girls .

    ReplyDelete