Friday, July 30, 2010

Woops a daisy......

I forgot to include the details of the shorts from yesterdays post!
And because I don't believe in saying things twice (Miss C are you listening to me, I'm not going to say it again, are you listening to me!) I'll just do a copy and paste from the review at Pattern Review.



Pattern Description: Burda magazine called these shorts bloomers but if I said that to my daughter no way would she wear them! I'm calling them the puffy shorts instead.

Pattern Sizing:
I cut a size 98 for my 3.5 year old and there is plenty of room, if anything they are a little on the big side.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, except for a few minor alterations.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
I don't usually bother with trying to follow Burda's instructions, but there are a lot of tricky details in this pattern so I think it is best suited to sewers with some experience. I hadn't sewn bluff pockets before so I documented the steps here for reference.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked the interesting details, oversized gathered pockets and the ties at the cuff.
I didn't like the fly front detail. The shorts have an elastic back waistband so I didn't see the point in putting in a fly front as well. The front pockets are quite large and there isn't much room to squish another detail on the front so I just left it out. I also didn't like the curved waistband. This also seemed unnecessary, a three year old doesn't have much shaping around the waist and hip, a flat waistband would have been better, this would have reduced the number of pattern pieces and the elastic at the back would work better in a flat band.

Fabric Used:
Black cotton chambray.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
The only changes to the pattern were to leave off the fly front, no other design changes.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes I will sew it again, they are very comfy and my daughter loves them. I may have a go at changing the curved waistband to a flat band, but then again I may not!

Conclusion:
Very cute shorts that have some challenging features. These are not a quick project though, they took longer to sew than a pair of grown up pants! Also not recommended for the playground, those ties could cause some trouble!

1 comment:

  1. Those are adorable, but not as cute as your little girl. I used to love to sew for my daughter, now 25. My 3 boys also wore things I made, but girls are just...a lot more fun, LOL! I mean, all that lace and ric-rac!

    ReplyDelete