Sewing is underway on the peacoat...but in the meantime I am playing catch up with posting the other garments that are finished.
This is outfit number 3 for Miss C’s wardrobe.....a cotton voile top from Burda WOF March 2009 and a chambray version of the vintage skirt.
I'm a mod I'm a mod...yeah, yeah yeah!
I don’t know why I have put off doing button plackets; I had forgotten how easy they are to do. But Burda’s instructions are a bit bamboozling, for one thing they very rarely say vital info like put right sides of fabric together, or place wrong side of fabric to right side of garment, and I haven’t felt like trawling the net or going through all my old sewing notes to find out how to do it.
But then I discovered Burda had more detailed instructions (with pictures!) in the January 2009 issue (for a grown ups top but the theory is the same). So that made it easier.
I cut a size 98 and didn’t do any alterations to the design or pattern. The top fits Miss C perfectly, which means tomorrow it won’t, so if I make it again I will go up a size.
Cotton voile print (which I used for this top, just have to remember not to wear them at the same time!), with a watermelon cotton print for the placket and bias binding. Plus buttons from the stash.
Once the button placket is done there is nothing tricky here. I did french seams as the voile is quite fine, and I used a bias binding for the sleeve hem rather than a topstitched hem.
I also changed the button placement as Burda had a button and buttonhole placed on the bias band and my buttons were too large for the width of the band. I have a feeling that sewing a button and buttonhole on that skinny band would be nigh on impossible anyhoo.
I love this top! It is easy to sew and a great fit. There is way too much ease in the shoulder though so I will get rid of some of that when I sew it again. I like the idea of long sleeve cotton tops for summer, less chance of sunburn and a lot cooler to wear than singlet tops or t-shirts.