Thursday, August 19, 2010

I'm done!

I have just managed to complete the last of the 10 garments for the Wardrobe Contest, and managed to squeeze in a photo shoot in between downpours this morning hooray!

Here is the Burda peacoat, which is the topper for the wardrobe (worn over the flounce dress which I blogged about here).



The pattern
I traced a size 98, and only changed the pockets from welt pockets to patch pockets. The great thing about this pattern is the lining pieces are included as well so I didn’t need to do anything except trace. I added ½ inch seam allowance to all seams. I usually add ¼ inch to things like collars and facings but as I wasn’t going to muck around with a toile I thought the extra s.a might be handy. And added 1 inch to hems.

The fabric
Black cotton chambray, with a cotton print lining. Luckily I realised the print was in one direction and managed to cut it out properly. The buttons were reclaimed fromm a cardi that was on the way to the scrap bin. I underlined the lining with a very lightweight vintage wool for extra warmth.

The verdict
I am really glad that I made this coat instead of the trench that I was planning. It has a great shape and the best thing is that the raglan sleeves are quite roomy. I have bought a few RTW jackets that Miss C has hardly worn as the sleeves are too narrow to fit over chunky woollen knits.
It is not a quick project though, essentially it is a fully lined, bagged jacket so quite time consuming to make, especially with all that topstitching, but it will be great for the last months of winter and hopefully next year as well.

Weird fact: Burda kids patterns have freakishly long sleeves, every pattern I have had to chop quite a bit of the sleeve but not the length,maybe they think kids arms grow before the rest of them?

Some more pics....just because

Hey Mum....it was this big!


Actually....it was this big!


Wonder what time the bus gets here?


Roar!


That's it....I'm walking home. Put my cheque in the mail.

15 comments:

  1. Great trench coat and darling photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Your daughter has a far better wardrobe than I do- I am jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I've been eyeing this pattern for a while. You have totally convinced me (weird long Burda sleeve and all). That is one well-dressed kid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How gorgeous! The peacoat and the photoshooot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just gorgeous, now did Burda do a larger version?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous peacoat and child. Lovely photos. Getting photos of my children has always been rather hit or miss. "Sometimes I will and sometimes I won't" as voiced by my eldest when she was around 3-4 yrs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are just the sweetest pictures.

    I don't have children, but if I do someday, I will learn to sew with Burda b/c the patterns are so great. They look so sophisticated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very, very nice - it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute daughter + cute coat = 100% adorable!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful ensemble ! I am so glad a friend pointed me to your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad I found your blog too, even though I don't sew for children, really. I always find it wonderful when pattern and fabric are well put together

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for all of your lovely comments everyone, my head is swimming with compliments!

    ReplyDelete
  13. it's a winner in my book!! Love the wellies, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect. Every single item is perfection! And your daughter is adorable. I could go on and on!

    ReplyDelete