Sunday, September 12, 2010

I’ve got 12 months.....

Erm.......I hope I haven’t misled you with that title!

What I mean is that I have just over 12 months before I have to go back to a day job.

Unless I can figure out a way to earn money at home that is.

Before I had kids I had never imagined that I would be a stay at home mum. I expected that I would be back at full time work after a year and life would be as it was. That’s not how it panned out though. And darn it I have gotten used to sewing and mucking around with the kid every day.

So.

I have a plan.

And while I always swore that I would never sew for money (and despite being employed in the fashion industry for 12 years, I never actually had to design or patternmake on a regular basis, I just used to tell others how to do it!) that seems to be my only option.

And while I know all the pitfalls about trying to sell homemade garments and am hopelessly out of sync with the industry buying timeframes I am going to forge ahead regardless.

This is my fabric palette for a second summer range for girls aged 2-5years or thereabouts.


I figure that I have enough fabric to quickly make up some simple styles in time for all of our Christmas fairs and markets in November. Then, if I get a good reaction develop a first winter range for the shops.

The plus: it’s all from the stash so technically I don’t have to actually spend any cash to start production, just my time.

The minus: no more sewing for me.

I will need to draft some basic blocks from scratch to make the patterns but I do have a (sometimes) willing fit model so that shouldn’t take too long.

What could go wrong?

I might not sell anything. In which case Miss C will have a larger than average summer wardrobe.

Or, I sell everything and I have a real business on my hands.

Perhaps that is what I am really afraid of.

8 comments:

  1. Good luck with your venture Sandra. I stayed at home when my daughter was small and sold handmade cabbage patch dolls (shows you how old I am!). It was very lucrative and my Dad was my best salesman. I did daycare as well for my friend that lived nearby til she told me that I needed to get out and do something with my life (like taking care of your kids isn't enough?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Sandra. Your clothes are beautiful, and much more elegant that what is available for girls, please don't leave boys out though. Its so hard to think about getting a 'real'job. I will probably be getting a job within the next 12 months and while I look forward to it~a little, it also fills me with dread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your plan. I too, am starting a small business based on goods that I hand make. I am planning to expand it so that soon my hands won't be the only ones responsible for all production!

    I read business blogs that I find inspiring for solopreneurs...craft an mba is a good place to start.

    Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! I think you are on the right path. The clothes I have seen you make are beautiful, and this could be the beginning of something great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The clothes that you have made for Miss C are gorgeous. I like your colour pallet. I wish you every success. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck Sandra. You sew beautiful and I hope it all works out well for you. I have 8 children and started sewing professionally about 3-4 years ago. It has worked out well for my family as I am always here and available. I can work my sewing work around my family. Though I don't make as much money as if I had a 9-5 job I think it is compensated by no childcare fees, I know where my kids are after school, and many other benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you the best of luck. Did you kno that you can get an Ottobre license to sell the clothes you make from their patterns? Since I have not knowledge of drafting whatsoever, this is what I'd look into first. I hope you'll still have time to blog and let us know how it's going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the encouraging comments everyone! Its nice to have confirmation that perhaps this idea isn't so harebrained after all!

    ReplyDelete