Saturday, October 16, 2010

Reliving a misspent youth

I think that I can vaguely recall about a fortnight in 1994 when I can actually lay claim to having lived a misspent youth – I am generally a well behaved, play by the rules kind of girl, but for one summer I had the (mis)fortune of living across the road from a 24 hour pub and well you don’t need to be a genius to figure out what went on that summer.

So what has triggered memories of my dim, dark, distant past you may ask?

Well today it SNOWED. In Australia. In October.

Sheesh.

This time last year we were enacting our fire evacuation plan because of bushfire threats.

So today we battened down the hatches and had a bit of a boogie.

And a quick search through YouTube brought up these clips from my glory days of the Summer of 1994.







Probably not entirely appropriate for a three and bit year old but a nice change from the Wiggles.

What was the soundtrack to your misspent youth?

5 comments:

  1. Oh isn't Youtube great for old music videos! My mispent youth was filled with R&B bands, Boyz II Men, Jodeci, etc it's great to bring those old songs to life and the kids enjoy it (though my 4 yo prefers PINK.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It snowed here yesterday, too---though that's hardly unusual for Canada in October, just unwelcome.

    My mis-spent youth was 1999, so the sound-track is getting distinctly dated; Mambo #5 still brings a goofy smile to my face ;). I had the (very rare) pleasure of going out clubbing earlier this week, and it's really creepy when the club dance songs are ones that you first heard when your kid came home from school singing them. Youtube is awesome for the old music videos... my hubby is making sure the kids get a thorough grounding in Michael Jackson and Paula Abdul, to dilute the Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... you must be just slightly younger than me... since 1994 was about when my mispending was no longer what I would term youthful. Let's just say Madonna was vogueing and people were pumpin' up the jam. Sadly. (I took my 7 y.o. to a birthday party tonight at which we were treated to the "Thriller" album in it's entirety. Talk about youthful flashbacks. Yikes. No one wants to remember their freshman year of highschool. Of course, I'm pretty sure most of the other parents there were in kindergarten then. Maybe.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaah... what a great selection of tunes for an indoors day! And also for Miss C to groove to! (I bet she loved the kitty aspect as well!!)
    Such fun times...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand completely. My mis-spent youth sounds like Nirvana and Red Hot Chili Peppers, Zwan and Death Cab for Cutie. The French Kicks and Lead Sister II.

    I can't believe the cold snap lately, by the way. The other night was so chilly and we had a Texas storm. I checked for tornado warnings on the news before Husband pointed out tornadoes don't exist here. Weird. We put the wool blankets back on the bed.

    ReplyDelete