Thanks to Beangirl’s suggestion to take in the side seams, I think that I have managed to sidestep a muu muu disaster!
Here is the finished dress from last weeks post.
New Look 6698
I cut a size 14, and ended up taking in the side seams by about ½” .
The pattern is super easy with no shoulder seams, a centre back seam, skirt gathered onto the bodice, and machine stitched hems.
This is actually the first New Look pattern that I have ever made and it went together pretty well.
The main thing for me though is the *ahem* bust point. There is a big difference between a 20 year olds bust point and a nearly 40 year olds. As in mine is closer to my waist than my shoulder!
Evidence of 20 odd years of gravity on the human body.
So the empire line isn’t technically an empire line on me, and the seam actually sits over my bust rather than under.
So I chose not to put elastic all around the empire seam as the pattern does, and just stitched elastic on the back. Which makes the back fit quite nicely.
Proof that everything looks better with a denim jacket.
Makes me think now that I need to keep sewing dresses to find out what suits me.
And Alisa, I think that you will probably be seeing this little number quite a bit at the Kandos Pool over summer!