Thursday, June 16, 2011

Giving the game away



I know that I will be revealing the bubs gender by posting this before delivery day (and no, I am not having triplets! One of these rompers is for my sister who is expecting her first baby a couple of weeks after I am due), but I figured that my computer time will be severely limited shortly and I was quite proud of myself for getting at least one cute baby thing made up!

The pattern

The pattern is a vintage Simplicity, dated 1971 and sized for a 6 month old, which times in perfectly with our next summer.

The sewing
I made up the romper suit with the shoulder fastening in 3 different cotton prints.
All the fabric and trims came from the stash, 2 of the fabrics were op shop finds and the yellow was a newish piece that I think I picked up from a remnant table about a year ago.



The pattern sewed up really nicely, and this is the first commercial pattern that I have used that actually outlines a commercial/industrial construction order which was a pleasant surprise.

The only changes I made were to move the elastic casing to the lower edge of the pant in order to do away with the frill and I inserted snap tape along the crotch seam instead of sewing it closed to allow for quick nappy changes.


The verdict
I love this pattern! I have already cut out another 2 versions. Whether they get sewn up though is another matter, as I am now at 37 weeks and moving very slowly!


Although when I was taking the pics, I did not notice that the sizing seems rather large for a 6 month bub. Miss C is quite petite for her age, but these rompers would actually fit her quite nicely!

4 comments:

Karin said...

Very cute! The ricrac makes all the difference.

Jacquie said...

They are indeed very, very cute.

Beangirl. said...

Super cute! and I've found that Big 4 baby patterns run HUGE. Still super cute though!! Good job getting things made up in advanced, you're way ahead of the game in my book.

Vanessa said...

Those rompers are so darn cute!