Thank you everyone who weighed in on my topstitching dilemma from the last post.
In the end I decided to go with the majority who voted for a darker colour because a) you are all very smart and b) I had an almost full reel of dark purple thread and spending $3 on a new reel of a lighter colour thread seemed frivolous considering the pattern cost 20c and the fabric was from the stash and I can’t even remember how much I paid for it.
Although, next time I topstitch corduroy I think that I will take Sharon’s advice and use 2 threads instead of one. A single thread doesn’t seem to have enough ‘weight’ on top of the cord and disappears a bit into the pile. I have tried using proper topstitching thread before but my machine never seems to handle it properly and I have heard of the 2 thread technique but never gotten around to trying it out.
Anyhoo here are some pics of Miss C’s one and probably only made by me garment for this winter. At some point I will try to get the wriggler to actually wear it and stand still long enough for a pic. In the meantime some detail shots will have to do!
Vintage Butterick kids pattern from the op shop. No date stamp but my guess is maybe late ‘70’s or early ‘80’s.
Sized Small (ages 3-4), Medium (5-6) and Large (6-7)
I made the dress in the medium size but really should have made the small. It will probably fit her for the next um 3 years or so!
The whole thing went together pretty easily. Internal seams are overlocked and I used a cotton print for the yoke facings to reduce the bulk a bit.
Otherwise I followed the pattern directions pretty much to the letter.
I adapted Sherry’s very excellent tutorial on attaching sleeve cuffs to sew the dress to the yoke and was really happy with the result. Much quicker than how I usually do it and resulted in very neat corners, thanks Sherry!
The cut of the underarm is very, very low and is a V shape with no side seam.
The pattern calls for a bias binding finish but the shape of the underarm doesn’t really allow a bias bind to work properly here. If I make it again I will reshape the underarm to be more of a curve so that the bias works better.
And you can see that Miss C insisted on 2 different coloured buttons. I figured she is the one wearing it, so she could choose, but I am finding this very hard to come to terms with!