Saturday, August 18, 2012

I really like this dress.....


…so why can’t I get a decent picture of me wearing it!!!!!
It really does look better in real life trust me!






The lowdown
Pattern
Vogue 8487 blogged here and here.

Fabric
Mystery print from the stash. My guess is that it is a rayon. My mum bought this in Auckland about erm 15 years ago, and it has been lurking in my stash ever since. It has a lovely handle, is very soft and I suspect was quite expensive.

Verdict
I really like this pattern. It is super easy to sew (although I did draft a facing for the neck instead of doing a self bind as instructed), and was very quick to make.

I did however completely botch the pleats. It is a bit tricky to see due to the busy print, which is why I didn’t bother to unpick and try and correct them, and I have no idea what I did wrong.



When I pinned the front bodice to the front skirt at the waist seam, the top was much bigger than the skirt, and I ended up making 2 new pleats in the top to make the pieces fit together.

The grainline at this part of the top is almost on true bias (due to the pleating) so the fabric *could* have stretched with handling, but it seems unlikely as there was exactly the same amount of extra length on both sides of the top, so I must have folded the pleats incorrectly somewhere.

I think that I will have a go at making this up again in a summer weight fabric and see if I can get the pleating right, then I will know if it is a me error or a pattern error.

Full pattern review is here, but all up this one is definitely a keeper for me, dodgy photos and all!

6 comments:

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

Very interesting fabric coloration and print.

SewLove said...

I can totally see the genius of this dress and I LOVE it with the boots. Your pictures and comments are hilarious. Glad to finally see it!

Unknown said...

Yep, it's a fab dress. I really need to finish off my version for this summer! I had issues with the front pleats too, though I thought it was just me- not being one in the habit of following instructions! And I love the cute lace ups with socks. Clarks, Grosbies? Cute

Unknown said...

(Oh, it's Gail by the way. Sorry to post anonymously!)

Mike said...

I don't blame you for liking the dress. It's beautiful. You look great in it too.

Princess Martha said...


looks great with the knee high boots!