Friday, November 16, 2012

Burdastyle pants


Finally a pair of pants to wear that aren’t denim!

These were from my mini wardrobe plan, and I have had them finished for ages but just haven’t had time to get the photos.

And Miss C is getting significantly better at the photography sessions so here we go!

The pattern is from the Burdastyle July 2011 issue and they are a breeze to sew up, but for what is essentially a pair of elastic waist pants I had to do a surprising amount of surgery on the pattern to get them to fit.

This is what Burda reckon they should look like.
Images from Burdastyle


These are mine.
Fabric: stretch cotton poplin and cotton elastane waistband.

To be fair to Burda I probably should have made a smaller size as I had to reduce the width of the waistband by 4 inches and the height by 2 inches. I also took the waist in at the side seams and centre back seam of the pant, shortened them and added a turned up cuff.

Waist detail, in which I grow a pair of arms out of my left leg!


So I probably did quite a bit more mucking around with these than I expected but I am glad that I did as I now have a great pair of casual, everyday pants for summer. I have some more great prints in the stash so this pattern will probably get quite a workout this season.

Ack! Where's Mums head gone!

Note: The instructions for these pants are very ambiguous, there are the regular instructions in the mag as well as a special ‘sewing lesson’ section that shows pictures as well as step by step instructions. It took me quite a bit of cross checking to figure out how to cut the waistband. The pattern piece looks like it is cut on the fold, but when I checked the sewing lesson it stated to cut one piece from a single layer of fabric. And to complicate things further, Burda include seam allowance in the waistband, but not the pant pattern aaaargh Burda!!!!

And I would really like to upload these to the Burdastyle site but keep getting page errors aaaargh Burda!

7 comments:

Beangirl said...

these are FABulous.

Melinda said...

These look great - I love your sandals too. I think I will have to have a look in library for this Burda edition.

Mon Alisa Design said...

They look great! I want to see you strutting your stuff in these on a regular basis xxx

Sharon said...

Love the pants and even with the frustrating Burda speak you have a great pair of summer pants. Wow the twins have grown and Miss C is getting very good with her photography, my DH tends to cut my head off as well.

Judith said...

These pants are super, and will be great for our hot summer ahead! Just wondering where you purchased the fabric from as I love it...

Princess Martha said...

Love those pants Sandra!! Wow the girls have grown too! Very cute :)

sandra said...

Pant update: I wore these on the plane trip back from Auckland and they were super comfy. That little bit of stretch goes a looong way!
Judith: the fabric was a Spotlight cheapie that I bought on sale about 2 years ago.