Friday, November 16, 2012
Finally a pair of pants to wear that aren’t denim!
These were from my mini wardrobe plan, and I have had them finished for ages but just haven’t had time to get the photos.
And Miss C is getting significantly better at the photography sessions so here we go!
The pattern is from the Burdastyle July 2011 issue and they are a breeze to sew up, but for what is essentially a pair of elastic waist pants I had to do a surprising amount of surgery on the pattern to get them to fit.
This is what Burda reckon they should look like.
These are mine.
To be fair to Burda I probably should have made a smaller size as I had to reduce the width of the waistband by 4 inches and the height by 2 inches. I also took the waist in at the side seams and centre back seam of the pant, shortened them and added a turned up cuff.
So I probably did quite a bit more mucking around with these than I expected but I am glad that I did as I now have a great pair of casual, everyday pants for summer. I have some more great prints in the stash so this pattern will probably get quite a workout this season.
Note: The instructions for these pants are very ambiguous, there are the regular instructions in the mag as well as a special ‘sewing lesson’ section that shows pictures as well as step by step instructions. It took me quite a bit of cross checking to figure out how to cut the waistband. The pattern piece looks like it is cut on the fold, but when I checked the sewing lesson it stated to cut one piece from a single layer of fabric. And to complicate things further, Burda include seam allowance in the waistband, but not the pant pattern aaaargh Burda!!!!
And I would really like to upload these to the Burdastyle site but keep getting page errors aaaargh Burda!