Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Burda 6/2011 Style 104

I did try really really hard to come up with a better title than that, but after 2 ½ weeks of school holidays, my brain is full of Justine Clarke song lyrics and pretty much nothing else!



This shirt has been on my wish list for ages and it has been finished for about 3 weeks, but I just didn’t get a spare minute for a photo op until today (that is, the photography assistant couldn't be bribed, er persuaded until today!).

And while I tend to moan and whinge about all the extra work involved in tracing and adding seam allowances, Burda’s consistency with fit and excellent drafting makes me want to toss out all of my envelope patterns!

So, more about the shirt.

Burda describe this as an ‘overshirt’ but it’s not. The fit is quite slim, with only a small amount of ease which did surprise me, as the pic on the model seems quite roomy, but she is wearing it unbuttoned and is probably a size too big for her.

I wanted this to be a good transeasonal garment, of which I don’t have a lot of, so wearing it over singlets and long sleeve spencers, as well as on its own, was important to me, and I can only just do that.

But I have to say that the fit on me is superb. I didn’t have to do any alterations save for the length, and just look how that neckline sits on my shoulders!

I think that I will get a lot of wear out of this shirt and will definitely make more.

Pattern

Burdastyle June 2011

Style number 104
Size: 38

Fabric and notions

Cotton chambray with vintage buttons

Construction notes

I eliminated the centre back seam and cut the back on the fold instead.

Shortened the length by 4.5cm and curved the hem (like a traditional menswear shirt) instead of sewing the side seam splits.

I fused the cuffs and bagged them out before sewing them to the sleeve, creating a split at the underarm seam. I think that Burda used this technique on the dress version of this style. Note, that the cuffs are quite slim fitting, without the split I probably wouldn’t be able to layer a long sleeve top underneath.

I used white thread to topstitch, which I really like, except for the buttonholes, where the close satin stitch just ends up being too white. It doesn’t bother me enough to do anything about it though!

Maybe I should have called this blog the Lazy Seamstress!

No comments:

Post a Comment