Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Phew! It's done!

The Gridlock entry that is. I ended up using Vogue 1217 (OOP now I think) for the dress.
This is my inspiration board.


I was going for a 'Mia Farrow on vacation on the French Riveria circa 1965" look.
Which, considering that a) I look nothing like Mia Farrow, and b) the chances of me getting anywhere close to the French Riveria in the next 15 years is practically nil, was perhaps a tad fanciful.

Still, I am happy with my dress. Here it is.


Yoo hoo Mia, wait for me!
 I used the 'wrong' side of the fabric for the dress, a chambray from the stash for the sleeves (which I cut on the bias as the fabric was quite stiff), both sides of the fabric for the frilly bit, and the fluffy selvedge to trim the neck and hem.

Neck detail
 I didn't have to muck around much with the pattern, save for taking in the hip about 3cm and adding 3.5 inches to the hem.

I will get around to doing a proper pattern review in the next few days. First I have to figure out where I left the kids and clean the house!

Oh, and entries can be seen here.

4 comments:

mem said...

I love it . I really hop you win . I would love to see what you do with the prize .
Dont wish these kid years away , they pass so quickly and before you know it you will be making wedding dresses like me !!!

Sharon said...

Great dress and love the way you have used the fabric!

Emily said...

Oh I like this - the combo of right side, wrong side and chambray. The colours are lovely and boy you are summery! Hope the weather keeps bright and warm for a bit longer so you get to wear it before winter arrives :).

sandra said...

Mem you are so right, the baby years do pass too quickly! The twins are nearly 2 now, and the days are flying by.

Thanks Sharon, I was going to make a pair of pants with the rest of the fabric but I don't think that I can bear to look at the print again so soon!

And Emily, the days here are still warm, but unfortunately I don't really have an occasion for this dress, so it will probably languish in the wardrobe until Christmas party time!