Sunday, June 2, 2013

Aaaaah…….wool!

We have had a bit of an odd lead up to winter here, warm sunny days, cold windy days, gloomy rainy days, a frost and some foggy mornings, and so I have spent the better part of the last few weeks sorting clothes into various piles in order to see who needs what for the colder months and put together some kind of sewing strategy.

The twins have got loads of hand me downs, and growing oh so fast, so I probably won’t sew much for them this winter, and I am pretty much sorted, but poor Miss C’s one and only winter jacket from last year is a size 4! She must have fitted into it last year, as it’s the only one she has, and as we pretty much walk everywhere we need to go, it was pretty urgent to get something together for her before it really gets cold.

As she is now a very headstrong 6 year old, I figured that if I wanted her to actually wear the jacket then I should let her pick the fabric and pattern. I narrowed down the choices and we ended up with this.

The pattern is a Burda duffel coat from the 10/2011 issue and the fabric is a bit of a hodge podge collection of different pieces. The body is a remnant from my MIL’s stash (and has been in my stash for about 8 years), the lining is a poly cotton gingham remnant, and the hood lining is a lovely soft viscose jersey.
I think it is going well so far, but oh so slowly!

I haven’t attempted anything like this for a long time so I have really had to concentrate.

It took two nights to trace the pattern, one night to cut the wool, another night to cut the linings, another night to fuse, and today I managed to get the yokes, hood and seams of the coat done. Phew!

I had forgotten what a joy wool is to sew. This piece is vintage, probably 1970’s, and extremely good quality, so it presses and handles beautifully. I could never afford to buy wool like this today, so I am lucky that I was able to squeeze the pieces onto the slightly less than 1 metre that I had.

The fit though is very slim, so I will be lucky if she gets two seasons out of it, still if she likes it and actually wears it this winter than I will count that as a win!

Now just to get it finished before it snows.





3 comments:

  1. Your daughter is going to have a gorgeous coat and agree that wool is soooo nice to work with. Love your last two posts not sure how I missed but interesting Drape Drape top and the shirt is very smart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sharon, hope you have had a chance for a breather after the SWAP and Me Made May madness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow .... I bet you'll have to make another one too LOL.

    ReplyDelete