Thursday, June 20, 2013

Duffel coat....done and dusted!

I am really pleased with how this coat turned out. The fit on Miss C is great, she is happy to wear it, and best of all it's super toasty warm!
I am also really happy that I managed to make the entire project from what I had on hand, even the thread was leftover from other projects!

I will let the photos do the talking. Detailed info about the pattern and sewing at the end!


Hood on!

Hood off!

Fastening detail

Sleeve detail

Hood fastening

I am pretty sure the stylists assistants don't get to play in the dirt on a Vogue shoot!

You said I could have a go with the camera Mum! Oh all right then!
Burdastyle 10/2011. I combined the boys and girls version of the pattern, tracing the girls size 110, lengthening it, and using the patch pocket and flap from the boys style.

Vintage wool fabric for the coat
Viscose jersey for the hood lining
Poly/cotton gingham for the lining
Mystery ribbing for the sleeve 'windcatcher'

This is a beautifully drafted coat. All the pieces went together without a hitch. I did have to pay attention during the prep stage though, but once the pattern was traced, fabric was cut and the fusing applied, the sewing was pretty fast. Miss C did complain about the fabric being 'scratchy', but fortunately the lining and rib detail at the sleeve means the outer fabric never really touches her skin while she is wearing it.

Patternreview is here.

Now if I was really smart I would have made two for the twins to grow into!


  1. Gorgeous coat and love all the details. Your stylists look like they are having fun and your photograher did a very good job.

  2. Miss C's coat is amazing and looks wonderful on her. Great job on all the details. This is one of my favorite styles for kids.

  3. This is absolutely adorable, and the details are ACE! Great work. Damn, now I want one...

  4. Oh now I have to make a couple of them! Its gorgeous.