Thursday, November 21, 2013

Never too old for grunge maxi dress!


 As promised, here is the maxi dress from a couple of posts ago. I decided not to sew elastic in the waist and just use a belt to cinch it in. I like it with the belt, but I also like it without, especially for those really hot days or to pop on over my swimmers when we head to the pool.
Everyday styling

Back view


Too much Christmas pud styling!

Footy playing styling!
Here are the stats:
Pattern: Simplicity 7127
I made a few alterations to the pattern. Lengthened the dress to ankle length, this meant reducing the flare a tad so that the pattern piece would fit on the fabric. Omitted the pockets, used a grey marle ribbing to finish the neckline and armholes instead of bias binding and took the side seams in by 1.5cm as my fabric was a stretch instead of a woven.

Fabric: Vintage blue and white knit. Most probably some kind of cotton blend. This was a huge piece that I found at my local op shop. It was about 3m for the princely sum of $3, and I still have enough of a bit left for a tank top or a mini.

Sewing: Not much to say about this really. It is just two shoulder seams, two side seams, finishing the neckline and hem. I did everything on my four thread overlocker, except for the hem and topstitching, which I did on my regular machine.

All up, I am pretty happy with this. The dress cost me less than $5 and I am sure I will get a lot of wear out of this. I didn't prewash the fabric though, so I really hope nothing scary happens when it does go through the wringer!

2 comments:

  1. I like how you've styled it with the belt. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great with the belt and will be perfect for pudding and swimmers!

    ReplyDelete