Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Another catch up post McCalls 5578

This is another pre Christmas make that has had a lot of wear over our brain searingly hot summer.

I bought the pattern back when I was preggers with Miss C, thinking that it would have been a good maternity frock, but I worked right up until about 5 days before she was born and didn’t end up sewing any clothes for myself at that time, heck I didn’t even have a nursery ready for her when she arrived!

So the pattern has been languishing in the stash since then. I have pulled it out a few times but never really had the right fabric. Until I found this great ikat style print on the $4 bargain table at Spotlight. I was a bit worried that the style of the pattern was a bit young and girly for me, but I think the big, loud print counters that effect!

And I have to say, I always get compliments when I wear this dress. It looks good by itself, over skinny jeans, and with a cardi or denim jacket, so I think I can safely say that it ticks the ‘versatile’ box!

Here are the stats

McCalls 5578 (now OOP).

Cotton ikat print.
Hailspot cotton voile used for the facings and pocket bags.
Vintage buttons for the back

I made View A in a size 12. This is made up right out of the envelope, no alterations at all. The fit is pretty good for me. The length could be a tad longer for better knobbly knee coverage, but only about an inch or so. I really like the proportion of the skirt to the hem band though, so I don’t know if I will change the length if I make it again.

The neckline is very wide and only just sits at the right spot for me. It does tend to gape a bit when I am moving around, so I might need to correct that on the next one.

I left the sleeve cuffs off because I didn’t think that they would really be seen in the busy print.

I had 2 metres of fabric, which was just enough. I had to cut the facings and pockets out of the cotton voile because this pattern is a bit of a fabric hog!


I don’t usually wear big loud prints, and I don’t usually wear high waisted, gathered girly dresses, but for some reason this combo seems to work for this dress! It is certainly a great dress for stinking hot summer days, and I definitely want some more, but maybe in a nice safe, plain linen! 

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Simplicity 1693 The stripe version

I have quite a few sewing projects leftover from 2013 that I haven’t posted about yet. I did actually get a surprising amount of sewing done amidst the last minute shopping, end of year school business, sewing for others and general pre Christmas mayhem.

I mentioned before that I started this top and here it is finished. 

I like this version much better than my first one. Here are the details

Simplicity 1693. This is View F in a size 12

Some kind of cotton blend. This was a funny shaped piece from the op shop. I don’t know the exact content, but there is definitely some synthetic in there. It has a bit of a seersucker feel to it and has a lovely drape.

I made this straight out of the envelope and I am pretty happy with the result. I can get the top on over my head without needing the CB closure, so when I make this again I will cut the back on the fold and not worry about a closure.

This top has been on weekly rotation since it came off the sewing machine. December and January have been ridiculously hot here, and this top was just perfect. I only hope the mystery fabric stands up to multiple wears and washing!