Sunday, March 23, 2014

Kids Clothes Week: Big Kids Wardrobe


Kids Clothes Week is coming up in a few weeks, and while I have been an avid follower of the 'Week', I haven't actually sewn along as the dates have never really aligned with my available sewing time.

This time around however, KCW is the same week as the last week of school term, so I should be able to participate.

This upcoming week is also the first KCW that has a theme, and this time it is Mini Me, which is kinda cute, and sort of funny for me as Miss C is completely the opposite to me! I have cool colouring; dark hair, fair skin and blue eyes, whereas as she is warm with blonde hair and hazel eyes.

But in either a freaky coincidence or divine serendipity, Burdastyle released this pattern recently

Womens and girls raincape pattern Burdastyle 03/2014
and I just happened to buy this fabric in two different colourways at the Christmas sales.
Leopard print taffeta picked up for $2 metre....bargain!

So I think someone is telling me something: Mum and daughter raincoats!!!!!

I am planning on using the Burda raincoat pattern for Miss C's coat, but I can't see myself putting up with cape like sleeves, so mine will probably be a more traditional parka style. I will have to dig through the stash to see what I find.

And seeing as I am going to the trouble of making a statement raincoat for the kid, I may as well keep the momentum going and get a winter wardrobe happening at the same time. This is what I have pulled from the stash.
L-R charcoal grey corduroy, watermelon jersey, black chambray, grey spot chambray and the leopard taffeta... roar!
I am not sure what patterns I will use, but probably some basics like leggings and jeans to go with the coat, and maybe a skirt and T.

I will probably use mostly Burda patterns, as their fit suits Miss C really nicely, but it means a lot of tracing so I better get cracking! The plan is to trace and cut as much as I can before the Week and then sew like the wind!

Have you started planning for next season yet?

2 comments:

  1. Wow your raincoats are going to be so amazing in the leopard and Miss C will have an amazing wardrobe with the fabrics you have chosen.

    Slowly starting to plan for Winter, problem of too many ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sharon, I remember the amazing job you did on your trenchcoat last year, which is making me think a trench slash raincoat might be in order for me!

    ReplyDelete