Sunday, March 2, 2014

The last legs of summer

While summer only officially ended on friday, the weekend has been decidedly unsummer like, with rain for nearly 3 days. Which after 3 months of “oh my goodness why didn’t we install air conditioning” moaning, was a welcome change.

And it means I only have one, well actually two, but the pants were a bit of a last minute wonder what these would be like kind of projects, summer makes to show.

The top is Simplicity1693 again, although slightly varied from the last one, and the pants are the bottom part of this Vogue jumpsuit pattern.
Vogue 1308

As much as I love my last two versions of the Simplicity tank, the CF was gaping quite a bit, not so much when I stood still in front of the mirror, but definitely during every day wear. This was also happening with my McCalls ikat dress which made me realise it was a me problem and not a pattern problem.

Being Miss Average (average height, average weight, average shoe size etc) does have some advantages, in that I very rarely have to alter patterns aside from length. I do have a sway back but because I generally don’t make anything very closefitting it’s not usually an issue.

After a bit of Google research, I came to the conclusion that I have a hollow chest. Which sounds just as bad as a dowager hump and made me feel at least a decade older than I am!

I consulted my copy of Aldrich’s Metric Pattern Cutting to find a solution, but because I still have baby brain fog (don’t know when that is going to clear up!), doing any kind of proper patternmaking seemed a bit beyond me.

So I just took in the CF a bit. Which I am pretty certain isn’t technically the best solution, but it did do the trick for me. Instead of cutting the CF on the fold, I simply cut 2 of the front, and then sewed the CF seam using a 1cm sa. Which essentially took 2cm out of the CF. The back still sits nicely and the armhole looks and feels OK so I don’t think I did too much damage!


I also added a patch pocket, otherwise the pattern is unchanged.

The fabric? A bit of polyester that kind of looks like sandwashed silk, if you don’t get too close! It was leftover from lining another garment and because the colour was so great I overlooked the fact that it was a polyester! It is surprisingly cool to wear and the bonus is that it doesn’t need ironing.

Onto the pants.
Fabric: cotton '80's print from the op shop

These were a bit of a trial go to see what this pattern was like. I made the size 12, took the side seams in by about 1cm and voila, some comfy, casual elastic waist pants!

I do feel a bit strange about wearing these in public though. They do feel very pyjamery, and while I know that printed pants are very on trend right now, I think these would work better with a more tailored or structured top, like a chambray shirt or even a lightweight jacket and Tshirt. And maybe some shoes!

Still, the pants will get worn and the pattern is a good one, and when I have a fancy occasion to go to, I have a lovely navy printed silk stashed away to make up the whole jumpsuit.

And now the sewing table is clear, the machines are oiled up and ready to go, and next up is figuring out what to make for winter!

1 comment:

  1. Very smart summer outfit and can see both pieces getting a lot of wear. I have been doing the hollow chest/gaposis adjustment for years it is something that I need to do and is a standard adjustment I do on most patterns.

    ReplyDelete